Irish Wolfhound Times
(Irish Wolfhound Database and Breed Information Exchange)
The Tireragh Stone - Carved Irish Wolfdog
The Royal Irish Academy 1841
THE ROYAL IRISH ACADEMY.
1841. No. 28.
February 22, 1841.
Rev. H. LLOYD, D. D., Vice-President, in the Chair.
Mr. Charles T. Webber presented to the Academy an ancient stone, on which is carved a rude bass-relief, supposed to be the representation of a dog killing a wolf. Mr. Webber accompanied the present with a communication to the effect, that the stone was taken from the Castle of Ardnaglass, in the barony of Tireragh and county of Sligo, and was said to commemorate the destruction of the last wolf in Ireland. The current tradition in the place from whence it came was, that some years after it was supposed that the race of wolves was extinct, the flocks in the county of Leitrim were attacked by a wild animal which turned out to be a wolf; that thereupon the chieftains of Leitrim applied to O'Dowd, the chieftain of Tireragh, (who possessed a celebrated dog of the breed of the ancient Irish wolf dog), to come and hunt the wolf; which application being complied with by O'Dowd, there ensued a chase, which forms the subject of an ancient Irish legend, detailing the various districts through which it was pursued, until at length the wolf was overtaken and killed in a small wood of pine trees, at the foot of one of the mountains in Tireragh. The quarter of land on which the wolf was killed, is to this day called Carrow na Madhoo, which means the dogs' quarter. In commemoration of the event, O'Dowd had the annexed representation of it carved on the stone, and placed in the wall of his baronial residence.
Library Of Articles